What is Milk ?
“Milk – A white fluid secreted by the mammary glands of feminine mammals for the nourishment of their young, consisting of minute globules of fat suspended in an exceedingly solution of casein, albumin, milk sugar, and inorganic salts.”
8 Facts of Milk Nutrient
Fact #1: Milk Has 8 Grams of High-Quality Protein
Fact #2: Milk Is the Top-Source of Calcium in Americans’ Diets
Fact #3: Milk Contains Potassium, a Nutrient Missing in Many Americans’ Diets
Fact #4: Nearly Half of Americans Get Their Vitamin D From Milk
Fasct #5: Milk Is an Excellent Source of Vitamin B12
Fact #6: Milk Is a Good Source of Vitamin A
Fact #7: Milk Also Is an Excellent Source of Riboflavin:
Fact #8: A Serving of Milk Contains as Much Phosphorus as 1 Cup of Kidney Beans.
Milk Pros and Cons
- Milk is high in calcium, which is the key for healthy bones. Additionally, the calcium in milk is well absorbed by the digestive tract because the vitamin D and lactose found in milk facilitate calcium absorption. Still, it’s possible to urge ample calcium while not drinking farm milk — by eating foods like tofu, soy milk, or greens like kale. See calcium — what quantity is enough? for a lot of info.
- Whole milk is full with protein, that is useful for muscle growth.
- Studies have shown that drinking tin can facilitate regulate weight gain.
- Skim milk is very low in fat and cholesterol, and is a complete source of protein.
- Milk is also a good source of phosphorous, magnesium, vitamin A, vitamin D, and riboflavin (a B vitamin).
- Whole milk is high in saturated fat, which can increase cholesterol level.
- Milk is a common cause of food allergy (allergy to milk protein).
- Many people lack the enzyme to digest lactose (milk sugar). This is called lactose intolerance, which causes bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
- Milk may contain the antibiotics given to the cow while it is lactating.It has been argued that humans later absorb these antibiotics upon drinking milk, probably leading harmful microorganism to become additional proof against these antibiotics. As a result, once antibiotics are prescribed, they will not be as effective at killing the microorganism.
- Some research has found a correlation between drinking milk that’s produced by cows injected with the bovine growth hormone (rBST) and cancer. However, analysis shows extremely mixed results.
|Nutrient||Milk (1 cup)|
|Low-fat 1%||Reduced 2%||Whole||1% Choc|
|Total Fat (g)||0||2.4||4.8||7.9||2.5|
|Calories from Fat||0||22||43||71||23|
|Saturated Fat (g)||0||1.5||3.1||4.6||1.5|
|Vitamin A (IU)||500||478||464||395||490|
|Vitamin A (%DV)||10%||10%||13%||11%||14%|
|Vitamin B12 (ug)||1.2||1||1.3||1.1||0.8|
|Vitamin B12 (DV)||20%||17%||22%||18%||13%|
|Vitamin C (mg)||0||0||1||0||2.2|
|Vitamin C (%DV)||0%||0%||2%||0%||4%|
|Vitamin D (IU)||115||117||120||124||108|
|Vitamin D (DV)||29%||30%||30%||31%||27%|
|Magnesium (% DV)||7%||7%||7%||6%||8%|